Thursday, October 22, 2009

A mission statement

I can't not write. Even after abandoning and ruthlessly deleting my various previous weblogs, the urge is there.

I am therefore starting up this new site.

What will it be? A collection of book reviews -- nothing more, nothing less. (Well, maybe a little more. There always tends to be mission creep in these enterprises.) I have a stack of books on my bedside table, and some of them will spur me to write something and to share it with the world.

***

Unlike its predecessors, this blog will not be political --I know what I believe, I know what my friends believe, and we're not for turning.

To quote Agent Bedhead's excellent bio section:
In summary, I vote Republican, but please don’t ask me about it. This isn’t a political blog and I have no desire to argue that irrelevant crap with you, who will never change your ways or beliefs. My mind is not so deluded to think that I can change the world by arguing politics online, and I won’t entertain your need to push people’s buttons. Go argue elsewhere, jackass.
Well, with one caveat -- I have quite enjoyed arguing politics online, and I don't think it irrelevant or crap. It just is explicitly outside the focus of this particular forum.

Any political comments will be ruthlessly deleted. Along with any I simply do not like.

Is this hypocritical, given my longish comments elsewhere? Yes. I reserve the right to be hypocritical in my own space. If you want editorial freedom to hold forth, create your own. It is, after all, a free country. (And these sites are free!)

***

So keep your eyes on this space -- my first book review/reaction will go up... well, whenever I feel the urge.

I suspect it will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment